If Stefon Diggs wants to return to Houston, Pro Bowl running back Joe Mixon will be the first to welcome him with open arms.
The Houston Texans have over two dozen free agents set to hit the market this offseason, but Pro Bowl running back Joe Mixon hopes at least one is back in the huddle for the season-opener when the offense takes the field.
If two-time All-Pro receiver Stefon Diggs wants to return to NRG Stadium, Mixon said everyone would be elated.
“I hope that obviously he’s back and is my locker mate again,” Mixon said on Monday. “When it comes down to it, I’m sure he’s going do what’s best for him and same with the team. Selfishly, I think that all of us would welcome Stef back with open arms.”
After trading a 2025 second-round pick to the Buffalo Bills, Houston voided the final three years of Diggs’ current deal, making him a free agent following the 2024 season. After Nico Collins signed a three-year extension this offseason, it seemed like the four-time Pro Bowler would be a one-and-done in Houston.
Diggs’ market remains a mystery and the Texans enter the offseason. He was on pace for another 100-catch season as Houston’s No. 2 receiver before a torn ACL suffered in Week 8 sidelined him for the rest of the year.
At 31, Diggs could be looking for a short-term deal that offers him a chance to win a ring. That could be Houston, which returns multiple offensive roleplayers including Mixon, Collins, quarterback C.J. Stroud, tight end Dalton Schultz and Pro Bowl left tackle Laremy Tunsil.
Mixon said he’s been recruiting Diggs since Day 1 in hopes of having him around to help the back-to-back AFC South champs get over the hump and into the Super Bowl conversation.
“We definitely were on the same page,” Mixon said. “Obviously my guy just got hurt. But it is a business, that’s the unfortunate part.”
Diggs, who finished with 47 catches for 496 yards and three touchdowns in eight games, could command a decent market on a one-year deal. Earlier this season, he mentioned that he’d be open to coming back to Houston as he continues to attack his recovery.
That’ll be up to GM Nick Caserio, who could look to go younger and cheaper this offseason for a quality No. 2 threat. Plans could have changed after Tank Dell suffered a season-ending knee injury that likely will keep him out for most of the 2025 campaign due to recovery time.
Mixon believes Diggs is on track to becoming better entering 2025. Hopefully, that better ends in the end zone while wearing a Texans’ uniform.
“I’m excited that he’s back on his feet,” Mixon said. “I’m sure he’s probably going to want to come back here. He’s got unfinished business. Hopefully, he would take that into consideration.”
The Texans have roughly $10.6 million in cap space entering the offseason, though that number could fluctuate after roster cuts and contract reworks.